A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion confirming the information available in the main story arc.
Author: Val a'Shain
Abdel Omerna is the very image of a Whitecloak commander. He is tall and commanding, with a bold, fearless face, a strong chin, and waves of white at his temples. He has dark eyes and a deep voice (LoC, Ch. 9). His age is unknown, but he has proved himself to be an adequate commander. That, along with the white in his hair, suggests he is not a young man.
Abdel Omerna is known to the outside world as the Whitecloak spymaster. He is, in fact, only a decoy for the real spymaster, Sebban Balwer, but he is unaware of this fact. The man isn't too bright and rather gullible, taking rumour for fact. He doesn't doubt anything he hears, and he doesn't seem to notice that people know him as the Whitecloak spymaster. His reports are useless, and Pedron Niall only barely manages to put up with them. Eamon Valda manipulates Omerna into killing Niall, then kills him on the spot for treason in 1000 NE. Apparently Valda didn't see any use for Omerna.
- Omerna is first introduced to us in 999 NE, when he is reporting to Pedron Niall. He took a group of Illuminators across the Amadician borders, thinking they were an asset for the Children. Niall had to remind himself why he put Omerna in his position to keep his anger in check (LoC, Ch. 9).
- Omerna becomes increasing annoying to Niall, leaving reports that should be handed to him personally with Niall's secretary (LoC, Ch. 31).
- Omerna kills Niall and is killed on the spot by Eamon Valda for treason (ACoS, Prologue).
Niall sees Omerna as a fool. His only real use is being a decoy for the real spymaster (LoC, Ch. 9).
Valda thinks Omerna is a fool as well.
Sebban Balwer puts up with Omerna to remain hidden himself. He knows him for a fool though (LoC, Ch. 9).
- Niall considers Omerna an adequate commander, as long as someone tells him what to do (LoC, Ch. 9).
- Omerna is good at remaining calm (LoC, Ch. 9).
"My Lord Captain Commander, they wish to establish a chapter house here." Even his voice, deep and mellifluous, fit the image. "Illuminators travel everywhere. It should be possible to slip agents among them easily. Agents welcomed into every town, every noble's manor, every ruler's palace." (Omerna to Niall, defending his decision to take a group of Illuminators across the border; Lord of Chaos, Chapter 9)
"It had to be done. It had to be. You let the witches sit there in Salidar unhindered, and..." As if suddenly realizing that he had his arms around the man he was murdering, he pushed Niall away. (Omerna to Niall after stabbing him; A Crown of Swords, Prologue)