Author: Natalya Laragan
The full name was not recorded in the main series, but was given in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
Carlinya Sorevin is an Aes Sedai of the White Ajah who sides with the Salidar Aes Sedai in Salidar. She has short, dark hair that curls in ringlets about her head and barely covers her ears (LoC, Ch. 15; Ch. 34) matched with pale skin and eyes so dark they are described as black (LoC, Ch. 7). In the manner of most Whites, Carlinya's mannerisms are described as cool, composed, logical, and emotionless with a penchant for sneering. She maintains the persona in nearly all situations, but has been known to show small hints of impatience and testiness (TFoH, Ch. 50). She often dresses in white (LoC, Ch. 7) and even the embroidery of her white-fringed shawl was white (TGH, Ch. 4). While not a Sitter, Carlinya held as much sway as most Sitters in the rebel camp (ACoS, Ch. 8).
Viewings and Prophecies
- Min's Viewings
- For an instant Min saw an image of a raven floating beside her dark hair; more a drawing of the bird than the bird itself. She thought it was a tattoo, but she did not know its meaning." (TFoH, Ch. 26).
Despite Min's belief that it was a tattoo, which may have implied the Seanchan, she was killed in the Black Ajah assault on the Tower (ToM, Ch. 37). Brandon Sanderson has commented on this to suggest that this apparent discrepancy will be explained. It may be that Min just misunderstood the vision and the raven related to the Shadow.
- It was not the ice of anger, but of cold reason. She was White Ajah. Her ivory-colored dress looked as if it had had hard wear. For an instant Min saw an image of a raven floating beside her dark hair; more a drawing of the bird than the bird itself. She thought it was a tattoo, but she did not know its meaning. (The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 26)
- Once a month she had committed some minor offense, a small thing that earned her an extra hour or two of chores. Exactly once each month. She had not wanted the others to think her a prig. Those had been her only offenses - she never broke another rule or put a foot wrong; it would not have been logical - yet she had never understood why the other girls had considered her an Aes Sedai pet anyway. A great deal of logic and not much common sense: that was Carlinya. (The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 27)
- "Clear thinking will be needed," Carlinya put in. "The new Amyrlin must be a woman of cool reason and logic." (The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 27)
- "No doubt they thought it was understood to such a degree that there was no need to state it. Logically, however, a law means what it says, whatever the framers thought they meant." (The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 35)
- Carlinya had no Warder, not unusual for a White, but she studied the men from the depths of her fur-lined cowl as if thinking about finding one. (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 16)
- "Strife between the Ajah heads and the Sitters," Carlinya said, as cool as the snow. "Perhaps strife between the Ajahs." Casually adjusting her cloak, intricately embroidered white-on-white but lined with dense black fur, she might have been discussing the price of a spool of thread. "Why she wants these things, I can't begin to say, but those will be the results, unless we are very careful, and she could not know we would be careful, or that we have any reason to be, so logically one or both must be her aim." (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 17)
- "I might have expected it would be you," Carlinya said coldly, fists on her hips. She was never a warm woman, but now the ringlets that stopped well short of her shoulders framed a face that seemed carved from ice nearly as pale as her dress." (Knife of Dreams, Chapter 1)
- "What you are saying is irrational," Carlinya said finally. Her tone was still cool, her face serene, but her hands smoothed her embroidered white skirts unnecessarily." (Knife of Dreams, Chapter 1)